Friday, October 17, 2008

I'M ALL GROWN UP!! - AND REALLY PROUD!






So, I have seemingly done the impossible, and am so excited! Here's some background.... I have been driving around for approximately 3+ years with a backseat to my car that looks like a small tiger with huge claws let loose in it! I am not exagerating. All the while praying..."Lord, I think it's time for a new car". Some really smart people (aka. my parents) about 3 years ago mentioned...Chantell..why don't you just go buy a new backseat for your car from a junkyard? "ok, right, like they have those" i think, and store it in my memory bank as a "possibility". Meanwhile, my car backseat becomes increasingly worse and I "thoroughly check my car" and come to the conclusion "there is no other option but to get a new car, and a car cover won't work on my backseat either"
I'm not sure what changed, but within a week the heavens opened up! Literally. All of a sudden, after driving around like this for 3+ yrs. it occured to me, "oh, my seat unlocks and does disconnect from the back" "i could put a seat cover on it"! And then as I was in an auto parts store the same week i mentioned about the option of a junkyard back seat and they "just happened" to have a web address for where you can find used parts.
So I do what any good 27 year old who needs a new back seat would do....i look-up the nearest salvage yard and go look at the cheapest seat i can find ($35), from Larry aka. Superman with golds on all his front teeth. He shows me through the salvage yard where stray cats sit among my choice backseat options...um, i thought a dead body might roll out of a car, as this was my first trip to a junk yard and i don't think i was quite prepared for the graveyard that I encountered!
However, and I give Full credit to The Lord for this...there is an amazing seat the right color and everything for $35! I'm thrilled...and as i watch them literally RIP the seat out of the old honda I think to myself....i'm gonna put this seat in myself...! And so I did...and was very proud as I took out the old backseat and installed the new! While my dad changed my oil in the front of the car, I fixed the back, and his shining moment came when I said "dad, do you have the ratchet" and he knew that he had indeed suceeded in his fatherly duties!
And all this to say that I am soooo beyond excited, b/c to me, I do have a new car!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You're a big 'girle' now! ;)

Anonymous said...

awsome!!!

steph

Anonymous said...

Hey there....you don't know me, but I'm Charyle (pronounced Cheryl) and I'm friends with Angela. And I LOVE your car seat story!! I have never had the guts to go to one of these places. You're not only a big girl....you're a BRAVE girl ~!~ Congrats!!

clare said...

I am proud of you....
Clare